Saturday, February 14, 2009

Emily's Achievement Day & Kate's Basketball Game

On Thursday, Emily had Achievement Day. Her class made Valentine cookies, decorated them, and delivered them to a few of the widows around town. When they walked into one home, her teacher said to the lady, "Why don't you tell them how old you are!" The lady responded, "I'm 102 years old!" The girls were in awe and couldn't believe that she was that old. When they got back in the car, Emily said, "Wow, I can't believe that she is 102. She only looks about 99." Her teacher got a little laugh out of that!

Our elementary school houses grades Kindergarten through 6th grade. Starting in the 1st grade, the kids have a basketball game against another grade: 1st grade vs. 2nd grade at Valentine's Day, 3rd grade vs. 4th grade at Christmas, and 5th grade vs. 6th grade at Halloween. (The elementary is pretty small - 1 class per grade) Well, on the day of the Valentine's Day Party, Kate's 1st grade class had their basketball game against the 2nd grade. Kate is pretty laid back and, just like me, a little clumsy. Gary told me on Friday morning, "Do I really have to go? Kate will probably never get the ball." I said, "Yes, you have to go. She's surprised us before." Well, we were pretty shocked. We didn't realize how aggressive she would play basketball. Every time she played, she would steal the ball. She would even get most of the rebounds and head down to the 1st grade basket and shoot. She wasn't quite strong enough to get it into the basket, but she tried her hardest. Kate had a great time and she LOVED it!! There were a lot of people who came up to me and said, "Wow, how about Kate! I didn't know she could do that!" Well, we didn't either!! Like I said, she's surprised us before!

No comments: